very OT: MMCing a Fostex VR-800

Dear Loopers,

first, excuse me for this very OTish message: LD is the only newsgroup I'm
subscribed to (in fact: the only place where I know I can find
knowledgeable
people in all things music & electronics), and I need an answer quick (best
would be tomorrow evening, but the latest next saturday (1-4)...thank you
for your patience!

I got a recording setup consisting of a Behringer DDX3216 console, two
Fostex VR-800 harddisk recorders and a Fostex VC-8 interface (just
mentioned
for completeness). The Behringer manual tells me it sends MMC and MTC (in a
quite vague way), the VR-880's manual tells me they can both send an
receive
these signals. So what I understand is I can press the "Record" button on
the Behringer, and both Fostexes will go into Record simultaneously?

What I did:
        setting the Behringer to Framerate 25, Transmit Midi Transport,
Device 7F
        Vr-880 (1): Slave on, Slave Mode Vari, Clock Output MTC
        Vr-880 (2): Slave on, Slave Mode Vari, no Clock output

        MIDI runs Behringer Out->VR-880 (1) in, VR-880(1) Out-> VR-880
(2)->In.

What happens is...nothing. Or more specifically: the "Slave" indicator in
both Fostex's displays keep flashing. Same happens if I take the Behringer
out of the setup, set VR-880 (1) to Slave off, Clock Output MTC or CLK. And
same happens if I swap Fostex (1) and (2).

The audio cabling seems to bee correct (both Fostex's show a steadily lit
"Digital" indicator).

Am I doing something wrong, or do I fail to understand the details of
MTC/MMC/whatever? Is there any hidden function/setup item in the Fostexes I
should be aware of? Second, is there any problem involved if I don't get it
to work and just decide to hit "Record" on both Fostexes almost at once?
Any hints, be it regarding the specific gear/setup or the use of MTC/MMC in
common, are appreciated!

Thanks,

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill