Re: glissentar

In a message dated 12/31/2002 7:33:38 AM Mountain Standard Time, Hedewa7@aol.com writes:

also, in contradistinction to what wayne w.j. stated about the glissentar:
it's my clear impression that the glissentar was not robert godin's idea;
it was intitiated &executed by montréal luthier mario beauregard.
mario was then chief guitar-luthier at godin;
he left the company --- after many years, there --- just as the glissentar
was being released.

wayne w.j. said, in relation to the single low-string on the glissentar:

>I believe Godin went this route to avoid buzzing on the bass string.

this may be the case, but ---having been involved in the prototyping of the
glissentar, myself--- i believe it's more likely that mario was attempting to
emulate the historical profile of the oud, which almost always has a single
low-end 'drone'-type string, sometimes called the 'dumm', i think.

This is very interesting....thanks for the feedback.  I only had what Robert Godin shared with me, to go by.  I didn't know about Mario.  I have been to the factory, and do have one of the early models.  Your suggestions are helpful, indeed.

Thanks.  WWJ