-AND NOW, -THE LARCH!!! -was- Re: review of Looping Festival / much looping comment

  Wow! Daryl, thanks alot!   -am very glad you enjoyed the show.
  Hurray screaming Duets!   woohoo!   lol!
  I'm back in Boulder now after spending a most wonderful week in Santa
Cruz.  Dre and I tried to say hi to y'all during the tour from a wild lil'
internet cafe, wonderin' what the list was comin' to in our absence, but
alas, it didn't make it.   lol!   -Glad to see we're talking about looping
again...  <smile>
  I'd like to thank Dre, Rick, Steve and Jon, for the amazing music and for
such a wonderful time.   -Dan, for tour management, and Kim and all of the
LD'ers who attended the shows.  I truly enjoyed seeing you again, and
meeting others for the first time.
  Re: the Palo Alto performance itself.  -again, thanks to Jon, for having
me on the bill, and to Daryl and others for their comments.  I'm hoping
we'll get to hear a recording of the show as it can be difficult to
remember exactly what's happening alot of the time.
  Re:  Looper as instrument.  Daryl, you commented that rarely did you hear
a dry signal fed to a plex.   I'll just say for myself, that my sound was
just a plain guitar tone with just the slightest touches of reverb and
distortion, aside from the occasional turntably stuff with the Space
Station, Which I thought was pretty obvious, and which I only tended to use
along WITH a loop, all of the loops I created, were very dry and
uneffected.
  If you heard things that sounded like other effects and such from me, it
was the looper.
  <smile>   -Like I said, I can't remember alot of it myself, and it's not
just the blonde thing!   lol!
  Anyway, Thanks again, to all involved, it was a most wonderful time to be
sure...

Smiles,

Cara

At 10:54 AM 1/24/03 -0800, you wrote:

>So last night I went to check out the Looping Fest in Palo Alto,
>featuring Rick, Goddess, Andre and Jon.  As it was the first time I've
>seen an improvisational multi-looper performance, and one of the first
>times I've seen such heavy use of an EDP and Repeater, it was kind of a
>clinic in contemporary looping techniques for me personally.
>
>I had a great time, first off!  I loved seeing different combinations of
>players, as well as percussion instruments - I realized how boring a
>standard trap kit can be when compared with all the possibilities of a
>clay pot, a steel saucepan, cymbals, tablas, or frisbees (!). The
>EDP-mangling was really entertaining, especially when combined with
>Rick's facial expressions and Andre's subtle hip-swaying.   The high
>point was a screaming duet between Goddess and Andre, as the EDP's
>provided an evil dub bassline and a ghostly whine, while Jon and Rick
>synced up on 32-second note hi-hats and cymbals.  Yeah!  Each of the
>solo sets was also particularly enjoyable, everyone involved clearly has
>developed a really unique interaction with their little magic boxes.
>
>The glitching and repeating was really nuts, to hear and to watch.
>Still, as wonderful and musical as it was to hear Rick turn
>throatsinging into a children's chorus, or Andre turn a bent harmonic
>into god-knows-what, I had to think about the question posed earlier
>this week about the difference between an instrument and an effect or
>processor....and I came out of this event feeling that looping equipment
>isn't really an instrument.  An instrument is something that generates a
>tone, by definition.  And though the EDP can do insane things with any
>tone fed to it - you could probably snap your fingers once into a mic,
>then entertain a crowd all night with warpings of that initial tone - it
>doesn't actually generate a sound.  I think this is important, for me at
>least, because that initial tone is SO crucial, even after twisting it
>every which way.  The most interesting and musical things last night
>that happened with loops were interesting and musical because of the
>source; tweaking it made it exponentially more so.  But when a dry or
>flat sound was fed to a loop (which happened rarely, I have to say),
>processing didn't really take it anywhere, in my opinion.
>
>I guess my point is that to make good loops with your instrument, you
>gotta be good on the instrument.  Even if that instrument is a piece of
>Tupperware (Rick!), you have to know how to get a good sound out of it.
>
>For those who feel that an EDP actually is an instrument, I'm curious
>whether a turntable would also fit the definition...?
>
>thanks to Jon, Rick, Goddess and Andre for a wonderful time!  I'm bummed
>I had to dash off to catch a train and couldn't meet each of you
>afterwards.
>
>Daryl Shawn
>highhorse@mhorse.com

---

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates

Please visit BadFiction and The Guitar Cafe.