To: Gearhead@yahoogroups.com
From: "drK" <drk@delora.com> | This is Spam | Add to
Address Book
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 18:14:50 -0500
Subject: Re: [Gearhead] Emu Audity 2000 vs. Proteus
2500?

Maybe I can help as I own both the Audity 2K and the
XL-7, which is the P2500 in a different set of skins
with a different sound ROM.

The Audity 2K was a predecessor of the Proteus 2K
first generation.  It offers "only" 64 note polyphony
when using Z-Plane filters of 6 poles or less and 32
notes for the more complex 12 pole Z-plane filters.
It also introduced the BPM-based LFOs and envelopes
into the Proteus family as well as bringing over the
patch cord architecture from the EOS samplers. It has
six analog outputs and a S/PDIF coax out.

ROM-wise the original Audity 2K had its own sound set
which was unique then to the Proteus line. However
many thought it was too specialized and Emu offered an
upgrade, coincident with a new mother board update
that added Flash-based OS updates, which brought to
the Audity 2K the entire instrument files
(multisamples) that were once part of the original
Orbit and Planet Phatt modules. This was called the
"Extreme Upgrade". I mention this because IMHO the
Audity 2K without this upgrade is not nearly as
useable.  Not because of the ROM sounds (which are
very useful) but because the mother board upgrade
allowed the introduction of the special 64 voice
polyphony mode mentioned above. Without the upgrade
your Audity 2K is "stuck" at 32 voice polyphony.

Emu introduced shortly after the Extreme upgrade the
XL-1 member of the Proteus 2K family. This was
essentially an Audity 2K with the Extreme upgrade, but
with reduced output options (no digital out and only
stereo outs).  It was part of the "half Proteus 2K"
family where Emu reduced polyphony and separate outs
from the P2K family to lower costs.  There was an
upgrade path to a Turbo model.  Some turbo XL-1's were
also sold.  The turbo model doubled polyphony to 128
voices (64 for 12 pole Z-plane filters)and added a
second MIDI input for 32 channel multitimbral
operation, just like the Proteus 2K. Since the turbo
upgrade not only added the extra output options,
doubled multitimbral channels and also the polyphony
it was in many ways like two Audity 2K's in the same
box.  Also added was the so-called "Super Beats" mode
which is a way of controlling drum grooves in
real-time, brought over from the Planet Phatt model.

Why this digression about the XL-1?  Because XL-1's,
especially the Turbo model are next generation Audity
2K's and are a better purchase than a Audity 2K
without the Extreme upgrade.  XL-1's can be found
sometimes cheaper than Audity 2K's.

The Command Stations, the XL-7, the MP-7, and the
P2500 are all based on identical HW motherboards with
the differences in external control features and ROM
cards being the model differentiation.  The XL-7 comes
standard with the XL-1's sound ROM, though it has
different included presets.  If you look at the
multisamples included with the XL-7 and compare them
against the Audity 2K with the Extreme upgrade they
are identical.

The XL-7 is in every way a superior sound module to
the Audity 2K.  It *is* two Audity 2K's in the same
box with 32 channel multitimbral operation, 128 note
polyphony (64 for 12 pole Z-plane filters), has 32
arpeggiators, six analog outs, digital outs, Super
Beats mode.  Ignoring the sequencer, pressure
sensitive drum pads and 16 control knobs it is still
superior in very respect to the Audity 2K.  The patch
cord architecture and BPM LFO/envelopes are still
available.  There is no missing features, no
"downgrades".

The P2500 is the same as the XL-7 but it is mainly for
rack-mounted use and does not have the pressure
sensitive drum pads nor the ribbon controller. Its
included sound ROM is very much geared toward
main-stream pop production offering a wide range of
different instrument types.  it does not contain the
wealth of synthesizer and drum kits targeted for
e-music production that the Audity 2K (Extreme
upgrade) XL-1, or XL-7 has.

All of the Command stations can accept up to four 32MB
sound ROMS. You can add to a P2500 an XL-1 sound ROM
and have the same multisamples as the XL-7, with of
course the extra "Pop" ROM's.  Likewise you can add
the "Pop" ROM to the XL-7.

Another Proteus module worth considering is the Orbit
3 model.  This is a more standard Proteus one-rack
space module but with the same specs as the
XL-7/P2500.  It comes with two 32MB ROMs included,
both by Dutch sound Designer Rob Pappen, and can
accept two additional sound ROMs. And the XL-1 ROM
and...

Personally even at $299 I do not believe that the
Audity 2K is a good buy because you really need to
upgrade it to the Extreme status to gain the needed OS
improvements. When this upgrade was introduced two
years ago Emu offered it for a special price of $150
but I doubt it is that cheap today,if indeed it is
even available.  Be aware that the upgrade requires
sending the Audity 2K back to Emu as it must be done
at the factory.

The XL-1 is a fine replacement for the Audity 2K with
few missing features(only the lack of extra output
options).  The Command Stations are all excellent buys
IMO.  P2500 are not commonly offered used but I have
seen XL-7's for below $550 used.  You can rack mount a
XL-7 or MP-7 if desired with a $30 uption from Emu.

Sorry to carry on about all of this.  I think the
newest Proteus modules are quite exciting. The Audity
2K was a wonderful module for its day but I believe
the newer modules just offer too much more.

drk

www.delora.com/music
www.mp3.com/zdrk
drk.iuma.com