Re: Real instruments vs. electronic instruments

Loopers-Delight-d-request@loopers-delight.com writes:

> >I noticed that when you hit a piano note for the second time
>  >while holding the sus pedal down there's a very different sound.
>  >a lot brighter, because the hammer collides with the vibrations
>  >from another note.
>
>  when I used to play piano, I loved to press the pedal just a little
>  after releasing the keys, so the damper would touch the string
>  quickly and make it sound soft, but the sustain would be long, and
>  somehow even seem longer...

For clarity, that's an Upright piano (right?)
the grand piano soft pedal is v.different.
Another trick is to damp the string by hand, and release it
as the note sounds, seems like a swell.

>  Shure, this effect could be sampled an plaied even simpler on a
>  electronic instrument...

well think how many samples you have in the top
of the range digi-pianos.
Each note recorded at a number of different volumes.
...and different pedals.
...and still it sounds nothing like it.