The Ambient Ping presents Tomasz Krakowiak with Aidan Baker & William Davison

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Free - Every Tuesday Night - doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30
  @ club nia / C'est What - 19 Church St. at Front St. - Toronto
         3 blocks east of the Union Station subway.
         map - http://www.cestwhat.com/map.html

This Tuesday February 11th - Tomasz Krakowiak
with Aidan Baker and William Davison

Percussionist Tomasz Krakowiak has fashioned a distinctive
sonic vocabulary within a framework of conventional and
unconventional instrumentation, including standard drums
(never in an orthodox alignment), found objects and various
homemade constructions. He has performed with many
experimental/improv ensembles & is currently part of two duos:
with turntablist Mike Hansen and with soundsinger Paul Dutton.
Tomasz will be joined at this show by ambient/ experimental
guitarist/looper Aidan Baker (from improv trio ARC) & experimental
musician William Davison (from improv sextet Six Heads).

Tomasz Krakowiak http://www3.sympatico.ca/krakowiak/
Aidan Baker http://www3.sympatico.ca/mokka  William Davison
http://members.rogers.com/dis.songs/SixHeads.html

Between Sets CD - "Interiors" by Sara Ayers (2001 - Dark Wood)
Dark, etherial sonic musings, created primarily from layers and
layers of Ayers' haunting voice, evoke thought, emotion & memory.
(Available at PiNG THiNGS)   http://www.saraayers.com
* Read a full review of this CD by rik maclean, later in this e-mail.

* Also of interest to ambient and chillheads this week:
NICE+SMOOTH, SMALL WORLD and OSCILLATE present
HEART BEATZ, an event that features live pa from RAPOON
("notorious UK ambient gangster" Robin Storey - who's been
exploring some harder beats of late) and KINDER ATOM
(TO artists travel from tech-house to gentle ambient sounds.)
and DJs Greg Clow & Medicine Man in the "Smallworld
Chill Beatz" room plus uptempo fun from DJs in the
"Oscillate DnB Beatz" room. Friday February 14th, 2003
@ Surface (below Roxy Blu), 12 Brant Street, Toronto
$12 at the door before midnight, $15 after, 19+, Doors 10pm
Rapoon - http://www.pretentious.net/Rapoon and event info:
http://www.techno.ca/nice/sections/events/event_frame.htm
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Ambient Ping presents free live performances by Toronto's
finest ambient, chillout and experimental music artists plus
performers from across the continent, every Tuesday at club nia
(aka C'est What) featuring a comfortable lower stage area, perfect
for attentive listening, plus a higher level with a bar, back room
and more seating that's great for conversation, good food and the
club's impressive beer, wine and whiskey selection. Musical treats
are on offer at the PiNG THiNGS ambient/experimental CD boutique.
Drop off food at PiNG THiNGS for the Daily Bread Food Bank too.

Coming Tuesday February 18th - The Sample Inquisition
(aka Sample Inq.).   http://www.mondohifi.com
Between Sets CD - "Darkest Before Dawn" by Steve Roach

rik maclean's PiNG THiNGS' CD REViEWs

"Interiors" by Sara Ayers

Sara Ayers is one of those people whose voice is an otherworldly
instrument, capable of shifting, flowing tones that most of us can
only dream of. I've known this for a while, and it's knowledge that's
been reiterated to me now as I listen to her latest release Interiors.

On Interiors Sara makes full use of her vocal abilities, creating
an ever-changing landscape of emotion and expression. Using
sparse instrumental accompaniment as a backdrop, Interiors is
a fine example of Sara's work.

Opening with the haunting "Strand of Pearls" Sara sets the stage
for the listener, establishing an environment that the rest of the
album will build upon. Multifaceted and complex "Strand of Pearls"
is a breathtaking track that brought me to tears with it's beauty.
Skip over to "But you Can't" where a repeated drone plays
underneath Sara's vocal stylings to create a sense of womblike
safety. In contrast a breathy distorted tone dances around the
periphery of "Night Hounds" filling the listener with unease.
Scary stuff, believe me...

An angelic choir opens "Drowning in Light" which leads into
the breathtaking "Blood Music". Words fail me in my ability
to describe this song, so don't expect a description other
than to say that this is the highlight of the disc, no small
praise with such a wealth of treasures.

So let's sum up, 'cause that's something I like to do
these days. Sara? Her voice is an otherworldly instrument.
Interiors? An ever-changing landscape of emotion and
expression. "Strand of Pearls"? Haunting and Breathtaking,
as in takes your breath away. "Blood Music"? Words fail me.

Anything more need be said? No, Let the music on Sara's
Interiors disc speak for itself...

For more Sara Ayers info, visit http://www.saraayers.com

rik maclean -  torment@corpusnet.com

Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
to hear about all the latest releases on sale at PiNG THiNGS.

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances