Way OT: stoopid Question: Cubase SX & VSTi's

I am having some patience shattering problems with Cubase SX & VSTi's. (PC Platform, ver. 1.01 )

For the life of me, I can't get the darn presets I tweak and select ( A1,  b4  or any VSTi at that matter)  to start with/on and play the sound that I want played whenever i hit play or record.

What happens is whenever I hit play or record, The VSTi goes automatically back to the default preset, which is of course, not the preset I selected  or tweaked and has me constantly resetting what I do for it all to go back to square one where it is in the end, almost like chasing a windmill.

I know this request is way off topic but I am looking to integrate this Cubase SX setup into a portable NOtebook system that will be used for looping with a Jamman and Ableton's Live.

But i was really hopin to be able to use the VSTi's I have as I really like the robustness & ease of use with Cubase SX and the full range of VSTi's that are available for the Steinberg platform w/ the level of automation you get to boot.

Does anybody have any advice out there?

Any assistace ( offlist in email to me privately :)   would be Mooooocho appreciated :)

Regards,
John Cecil Price of AKASH
& THE CRIME:

http://www.akashmusic.com