newbie needs help

ok... Basically this is one of those annoying newbie posts of the type of:
"DUH... UH, which looper is the coolest?" But actually I hope to put a bit
more intelligence into this question by first describing the scenario in
which I want to use the looper and then getting suggestions as to which
looper might best fit my needs from you all...

What I want a looper to do:

Basically, I want a songwriting tool. I am a guitarist and I want a
looping
device to help me discover cool riffs on the guitar, bass lines etc... I
have no intention of using the looper in live performance, but I do want
all of the functions available in an included foot switch. Basically, I
want to use the looper to come up with parts for songs. I want to be able
to loop parts POST effects and pre-amp in my rig so that each loop might
have its own tone and FX qualities, also, I use stereo effects so it needs
to have stereo input/output. I have very little need for things like
slowing down, chopping up or reversing the loop as I don't want to use the
looper as an effect box in itself, rather just as a sampler/songwriting
tool. If it has some bonus FX stuff then that's cool in case I ever decide
I want to include it in my live rig. Another cool thing would be if it had
the ability to switch between "loop sets" so that I could have one set of
stuff looping for the "verse" and then switch to another set of stuff
looping for the "chorus" or "bridge" etc... so that I can use it to come
up
with arrangements for songs. Another cool feature would be the ability to
add and remove layers from the loop so that for example I could get the
"verse" looping but get rid of the main guitar part so that I could "solo"
over it... etc...

My price range is around $500

Please let me know which looper would be best for my needs. Thanks!!!

Josh