Re: OT: Squarepusher's breakbeat rig...

Whew!  It took some work, but the green is gone!

Tom said in an interview that for these last two albums (Go Plastic, and Do
You Know Squarepusher?) he has finally acquired state of the art gear.

This is what I've been able to identify in Squarepusher's live rig so far,
from this picture
http://www.neoprimitive.net/jlucas/tmp/squarepusher-live.jpg:

Eventide Orville Harmonizer
PC1600X MIDI Controller
Behringer(?) patch bay
2 DAT decks of some make

If anybody can identify that piece of knobby gear under the patch bay, I'd
like to know what it is.

In the second rack, to his left, is just a mixer and another patch bay.

If you listen to the live CD from Do You Know Squarepusher? he's just
playing back the tracks off the DATs and routing one or another into the
Orville and doing some wanky stuff with it.  Sometimes it's cool.  I like
what he does to Boneville Occident; playing back the beginning part at half
speed (the Orville must throw everything into a buffer as it comes in to
play it back at half speed, but there's got to be a limit to how long that
can go on, based on available RAM, since you would be continually piling
more stuff up in the buffer, while it is draining out half as fast).  Most
of the time though, it's like...uh, come on, Tom, pick up the fucking bass.

I'm much more interested in what his studio is built of now.  Does he
really
have 15 multi-effects boxes, one for each track, like it sounds, or is he
using plugins and automation to make it happen?  Can you automate all the
functions on any DX plugin?  Or does the plugin have to support automation?

-J