Yamaha A5000 as pseudo-looper/sampler/effects processor (was Re: So you want an effects processor (A5000)?)

Matthias:

About direct-to-disk recording:

I haven't heard anything about the recording directly to disk thing.  It
doesn't seem like it would make much sense, because the sampler only has
128MB of RAM to play with, so why record anything longer than that?  It
would take you a day and a half to send it to your computer via SCSI.  But
you couldn't even do that, because you can only retrieve what's in RAM on
the sampler.  What page of the manual does it mention this on?

About this routing:

> - use one effect section before the EDP
> - the other effect section after the EDP
> - play back a sample

You have two unbalanced ins on the front of the unit, a right-in and a
left-in.  You can break those into two mono ins and route them to
completely
different places.

Here's an example of what you're asking about Matthias:  You could put your
instrument in the Left in, run it through (for example) a chorus, delay,
and
flange using effects blocks 1-3, then pipe the output of Effect-3 to the
Assignable Out (outputs 3 and 4), hook that into your EDP(s), then come
fromt the EDP's output into the Right in on the A5000, route that to
effects
blocks 4-6, then route Effect-6 to the Stereo Out (outputs 1 and 2) on the
back of the sampler, and to your amp/mixer.

While the above is happening, the unit is still in Play mode and will
behave
just as a sampler would if you weren't doing anything out of the ordinary.
However, since you've used up all your effects blocks (in my example I did,
although, you could just use one pre and one post EDP or any combination
you
can make out of 6), you have nothing left to run your samples through,
unless you want them going to the same outputs your EDP/instrument signal
is
going to.

About this routing:

> - use one effect section before the EDP
> - the other effect section after the EDP
> - record at the output of one of the effect sections (either the
> original or the looped/effected signal)

2.  Recording like this doesn't work, because when the A4/5000 is in Record
mode it uses a special set of only three effects blocks on the signal which
you set up in the Record section of the sampler.  You could run your signal
through these three effects and record what you did, but these three blocks
do not let you assign where their output goes because, since it's in record
mode, I guess they assume that you want the output to be recorded rather
than aux sent to China.

> >It's not a device that's
> >designed for live, on-the-fly usage.  The A5000 does not generate sync
(and
> >will only sync it's LFO [through which you can sync delay effects] to
> >external sync), however, so you would need some kind of brain (e.g.
> >sequencer) controlling things.  *Or* you could program some kind of
>click
> >into a loop that would only go out of a specific output, and then pipe
that
> >into the BeatSync jack on the EDP.
>
> I would set the trigger for that sample to the note the EDP emits
> normally at every loop end!

Yes, I suppose you could do that, too.  To make it work the other way
around, where the sampler follows your EDP...

> >     Ha ha, no realtime recording/looping either.  Although, you could
sample
> >a loop or a set of loops and put them in the A5000 and trigger them with
> >some kind of keyboard/foot controller, which you could then play over,
but
> >this would require work at home beforehand.
>
> why could I not do that on stage, for example for the bass line that
> runs through a whole piece?

The recording process of the A-Series samplers is too cumbersome to do
this,
I think.  Even if you used the threshold control to automatically start
recording when you started playing and stop recording when you stopped, you
would still have to do some trimming to get the sample to be the right
length and to not click when it loops, then you would have to define the
loop points, define what kind of looping it was to do.  If you tell the
sample that it is a loop, and have the Audition button set to toggle mode,
then it will play the sample over and over between the loop points and
adjust the audio while you move them around.  This will help you find the
groove.  If you practiced, you might get this process down under two
minutes, but I don't think it would be particularly cool to watch or listen
to.

-J