Re: OT: elektron machinedrum -- groovebox issues

At 12:04 AM 3/10/2003 +0000, jimfowler wrote:
>anybody have experience with elektron's machinedrum?  apparently, it's a
>pretty powerful drum machine, but that's about all i can tell...not too
>many users, it seems.

Jim,

I've been an Elektron user for a few years now (Sidstation), so while I
don't actually own a Machinedrum, I've been keeping up with it since it
went into Beta.  If you're really into percussion synthesis, it's a great
box, with 4 different 'machines' (synthesis architectures) emulating
analog
synthesis, sample-playback, and even simple FM.

Its sequencing is an extension of the programming interface found on
classic Roland drumboxes like the TR-909/808/606 series.  That may be a
good thing or a bad thing depending on your personal preferences.  There
are, however, some known issues (read: bugs) regarding controlling and
sequencing other equipment from it.  Also, I've heard of some glitches
while syncing MTC.  I don't think I'd rely on it to lock with an EDP or
Repeater.

You can find plenty of people who will evangelize to you ad infinitum over
on the Elektron-Users list at Yahoo Groups (check the archives for some
more detail on those bugs).  Personally, I've some reservations.  When
Elektron first began offering it, they opened ti up at a reduced price of
$800 to their previous customers.  I scrambled like crazy to come up with
the cash, but couldn't make the deadline.  Now the price is up to ~$1200
($1100 + customs duty).  For $800, I'd consider grabbing it for the
synthesis engines alone.  At one-&-a-half times that price, however, the
value-proposition has gone out the window for me.  As always, though, YMMV.

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil