Re: Yamaha A5000 as pseudo-looper/sampler/effects processor (wasRe: So you want an effects processor (A5000)?)

>Matthias:
>
>About direct-to-disk recording:
>
>I haven't heard anything about the recording directly to disk thing.  It
>doesn't seem like it would make much sense, because the sampler only has
>128MB of RAM to play with, so why record anything longer than that?  It
>would take you a day and a half to send it to your computer via SCSI.

huh? SCSI is very fast! Dont the have a SCSI hard drive in it so you
can access it directly from the computer?

>But you couldn't even do that, because you can only retrieve what's
>in RAM on the sampler.

amazing limitation!

>What page of the manual does it mention this on?

they dont offer the real manual on the site, only a general "samplers
handbook" where it sais on page 23: "when ->Save is selected, it is
automatically saved to disk and erased from memory after recording has
finished." which can meand that they record to RAM first and only
after the recording save to HD, so you you are probably right.

>About this routing:
>
>>  - use one effect section before the EDP
>>  - the other effect section after the EDP
>>  - play back a sample
>
>You have two unbalanced ins on the front of the unit, a right-in and a
>left-in.  You can break those into two mono ins and route them to
>completely
>different places.
>
>Here's an example of what you're asking about Matthias:  You could put
>your
>instrument in the Left in, run it through (for example) a chorus, delay,
>and
>flange using effects blocks 1-3, then pipe the output of Effect-3 to the
>Assignable Out (outputs 3 and 4), hook that into your EDP(s), then come
>fromt the EDP's output into the Right in on the A5000, route that to
>effects
>blocks 4-6, then route Effect-6 to the Stereo Out (outputs 1 and 2) on the
>back of the sampler, and to your amp/mixer.

yes, I got that part

>While the above is happening, the unit is still in Play mode and will
>behave
>just as a sampler would if you weren't doing anything out of the ordinary.
>However, since you've used up all your effects blocks (in my example I
>did,
>although, you could just use one pre and one post EDP or any
>combination you can make out of 6), you have nothing left to run
>your samples through,
>unless you want them going to the same outputs your EDP/instrument
>signal is going to.

right, so I was wondering whether it can do this internal mix of the
external input with the internal sample. And the mixing should happen
before the second effect section, otherwhise the sample is either
recorded on the EDP (which may make sense, depending on the use) or
its without reverb (which can be ok if its reverberated itself)

>About this routing:
>
>>  - use one effect section before the EDP
>>  - the other effect section after the EDP
>>  - record at the output of one of the effect sections (either the
>>  original or the looped/effected signal)
>
>2.  Recording like this doesn't work, because when the A4/5000 is in
>Record
>mode it uses a special set of only three effects blocks on the signal
>which
>you set up in the Record section of the sampler.  You could run your
>signal
>through these three effects and record what you did, but these three
>blocks
>do not let you assign where their output goes because, since it's in
>record
>mode, I guess they assume that you want the output to be recorded rather
>than aux sent to China.

I suspected a problem like that, but since it does not record a whole
piece of music anyway, this is not an issue.

>>  >It's not a device that's
>>  >designed for live, on-the-fly usage.  The A5000 does not generate sync
>(and
>>  >will only sync it's LFO [through which you can sync delay effects] to
>>  >external sync), however, so you would need some kind of brain (e.g.
>>  >sequencer) controlling things.  *Or* you could program some kind of
>click
>  > >into a loop that would only go out of a specific output, and then
>pipe
>>  >that into the BeatSync jack on the EDP.
>>
>>  I would set the trigger for that sample to the note the EDP emits
>  > normally at every loop end!
>
>Yes, I suppose you could do that, too.  To make it work the other way
>around, where the sampler follows your EDP...

never felt like trying such things?

>>  >     Ha ha, no realtime recording/looping either.  Although, you could
>sample
>>  >a loop or a set of loops and put them in the A5000 and trigger them
>with
>>  >some kind of keyboard/foot controller, which you could then play over,
>but
>>  >this would require work at home beforehand.
>>
>>  why could I not do that on stage, for example for the bass line that
>>  runs through a whole piece?
>
>The recording process of the A-Series samplers is too cumbersome to do
>this,
>I think.  Even if you used the threshold control to automatically start
>recording when you started playing and stop recording when you stopped,
>you
>would still have to do some trimming to get the sample to be the right
>length and to not click when it loops, then you would have to define the
>loop points, define what kind of looping it was to do.  If you tell the
>sample that it is a loop, and have the Audition button set to toggle mode,
>then it will play the sample over and over between the loop points and
>adjust the audio while you move them around.  This will help you find the
>groove.  If you practiced, you might get this process down under two
>minutes, but I don't think it would be particularly cool to watch or
>listen
>to.

this would be for the case of slaving it to the EDP. So for example I
have some theme going on the EDP and want to record the bass line
separate (to keep it going forever after the theme elaborates and
with less reverb, for example). So there would not be a need for loop
points, since the EDP calls that sample over and over. If you only
play up to shortly before the end of the loop, there should be no
click either.
Would it work quickly under this condition? It must be in the range
of a one loop to be practical: you play the bass line, save it or
whatever you have to do during the next turn arround and at the next,
it should start playing...

well, dont worry, at this point I am rather trying to give new
perspectives to you and other possible sampler useres, because I dont
feel any more that its the machine for me...

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org