Re: Loop4 EXP mode: An observation

>I've been using EXP mode a lot.

great! sometimes its hard to create things that we *think* could be
usefull, until somebody like you now confirms it! <big smile>

>But I realized tonight why. It's my "I don't
>want to clutter things up with yet another footpedal" mode. There are
>essentially 3 broad states for loop evolution for me:
>
>1. Overdubbing/Multiply: Here having less than 100% feedback is critical
>since it allows one to replace material.
>
>2. Fading -- i.e., the only change to the loop is a fade toward silence:
>Feedback is the essence of this mode.
>
>3. Holding -- i.e., keeping the loop from changing.
>
>Of these, I find that the second is the most dispensable. The first is
>obviously indispensable and without a way to hold the loop, I get driven
>into adding material more often than I'd probably like.

which is fun somehow, by the way: the times before the EDP, when I
used analog FB on Roland 3000, t.c. 2290 and PCM42, once a loop was
great, I had to hurry up with the solo over it and then was forced to
create something new.

>With a footpedal, I can get all three though the third is achieved via the
>second with feedback at 100% -- i.e., don't forget to push the pedal down
>when coming out of overdub if you don't want the loop to go away.
>
>Without a footpedal, all control is via the front panel and I generally
>don't have a free hand to ride the control when I switch modes. So,
>something has to go. EXP mode without a pedal gives me feedback effects
>for
>overdubbing and multiplying but turns all non-modification operations into
>holding. That's not as versatile, but it's better than the alternatives.
>
>Actually I used the EDP for quite a while with Loop3 and no feedback
>pedal.
>I used it more like a DL4 and just kept the feedback cranked. Now,
>however,
>I would recommend that anyone starting looping with Loop4 and no
>expression pedal run in EXP mode.

thats a heavy statement! And it turns the name absurd :-)
Its historic: I started it thinking "what smarter mode can we create"
and at first it also regulated some input or output volume when it
was not doing FB. Then Claude started to use it and made
suggestions...

>If you've got an expression pedal, I would probably
>recommend Loop mode as a starting point. (My recommendation in the latter
>case would be different if the roles of the footpedal and the knob were
>reversed in EXP mode when a footpedal was attached, but that's not what
>Loop4 does.)

hm, you want the pedal to control FB while Overdub is engaged and the
front pot when nothing is added to the loop? So you need to go to the
front pannel when you want a plain fade out (your second state)...
does not quite make sense to me... can you explain?

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org