RE: Yamaha A5000 as pseudo-looper/sampler/effects processor (wasRe: So you want an effects processor (A5000)?)

> From: Matthias Grob [mailto:matthias@grob.org]

> > From: Jesse
> >But you couldn't even do that, because you can only retrieve what's
> >in RAM on the sampler.
>
> amazing limitation!
>
> >What page of the manual does it mention this on?
>
> they dont offer the real manual on the site, only a general "samplers
> handbook" where it sais on page 23: "when ->Save is selected, it is
> automatically saved to disk and erased from memory after recording has
> finished." which can meand that they record to RAM first and only
> after the recording save to HD, so you you are probably right.

You can find the A5000 manual at
<http://yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/DMI/Manual/Owner_s_Manual/a5000.pdf>,
or go www.yamaha.com and wander up through the US site.

And, the specific mention of the above is on p. 150 under recording setup.
And it says 'this capability is useful when you want to record a long
musical segment or even a complete song to CD using the CD-DA command'.

> >About this routing:
> >
> >>  - use one effect section before the EDP
> >>  - the other effect section after the EDP
> >>  - record at the output of one of the effect sections (either the
> >>  original or the looped/effected signal)
> >
> >2.  Recording like this doesn't work, because when the A4/5000
> is in Record
> >mode it uses a special set of only three effects blocks on the
> signal which
> >you set up in the Record section of the sampler.  You could run
> your signal
> >through these three effects and record what you did, but these
> three blocks
> >do not let you assign where their output goes because, since
> it's in record
> >mode, I guess they assume that you want the output to be recorded rather
> >than aux sent to China.

Does this mean that it turns off the normal effects section when you
record?
Is this true even if your recording the stereo out?  My take, from the
manual as I don't have an A5000 to play with, was that you could apply
effect blocks 1-3 to the recorded signal.  I'd assumed that if you didn't,
they stayed however you had them set up in play mode.  Assuming that were
true, I'd have thought you could:

Set up the A/D input to two independent mono signals
Send the instrument signal to A/D L, route it to effects 1-3
Send the output of effects 1-3 to the assignable out
Send the assignable out to the input of the EDP
Send the output of the EDP to A/D R, route that to effects 4-6
Send the out put of effects 4-6 to the stereo out
And then set the record source to stereo out.

Am I smoking crack?

-daveh
Dave Hastings
dhastings@earthlink.net

"How do I know so much about comedy, you wonder?  Easy.
I watch a lot of television.  Especially the Sunday-morning
political roundtables."

- Steve Mirsyk