Re: Tubes! They do a ____ good!

Kirkland Mack wrote:
> There are
> lots of standalone preamps and standalone power amps, and there lots of
> guys who like power amp saturation, so why aren't there any standalone
> power amps designed to give "vintage" sound and pleasing overdrive?

I think part of the problem is that the "power amp" saturation sound is
composed of more than just overdriving power tubes, but the entire
system of the amp: preamp tubes, power amp tubes, rectifier tube, power
supplies, speakers, etc. It's a complex system that can't easily be
taken apart and repackaged as separate bits.

You might think about using a VERY low power (8 - 15 watts) class A
combo that has the overdrive sound you are looking for. Then, build an
iso-box for it with a mic, run the mic into a mixer, and the mixer out
through the rest of you pedals, and finally into a mackie powered PA
speaker.

A lot of work, but if you want NO compromises on your overdrive tone,
then this is the best I can think of. Oh, and don't forget to use George
L's cables for the most transparent tone, and true bypass on ALL of your
effects!

Good luck!

D.G.