Re: talkative audiences

It used to happen to me a fair amount if I was playing an ambient solo
gig using sounds that didn't sound like the instrument I was holding
(guitar).  People would ask me if I was going to play, when I was going
to start, what was the CD we were listening to right now (when it was
my loops and playing), and so on.  The classic definition of ambient
("Music as ignorable as it is listenable") can sometimes bite you in
the ass in these circumstances...if you're looking for recognition as
the Talented Instrumental Idol.

I have been to laptop performances in cybercafes where it really is
difficult to figure out who the performer is, since most of the
audience was...checking their e-mail.  I also recall dragging a friend
to a laptop show, where the performer was using Max or something
similar, and the trouble-shooting soundcheck sounded almost exactly
like the "performance".  My friend was not amused.

And the ideal comeback to the Brooks question is:

"I heard he killed an over-talkative audience member once--why do you
ask?"

TH