Re: Performance Tricks for the Shy Looper/talkative audiences

--- Mark Hamburg <mark_hamburg@baymoon.com> wrote:
> The interesting thing is that I all but have a
> theater degree and the lights
> were never an issue when acting. Maybe it's because
> when acting I don't have
> all of this equipment (including my guitar) that
> would like attention.

I find that a lot of it has to do with the venue. If
everyone involved, including the audience, knows their
role, it's easy for me to play the part of the engaged
performer. It's in unusual venues that the distinction
becomes blurred; places where no one is quite sure
what's expected of them.

When I used to tour it was usual for my band to play
in front of widely diverse audiences. One night we'd
be opening for a well-known act in a big place, the
next we might be playing in East Podunk to 20 people
who'd never heard of us and would rather be shooting
pool. I always found it interesting that I would get
stage fright before playing for the *small* crowds,
but not in front of the big ones. I think it's because
the big crowds are more abstract while the small
audiences have individual faces and instant
biofeedback. I always felt inhibited "getting into it"
in a small room, but in a big place where the audience
is feeding off its own energy, it's a natural.

-t-

ps: Last night I heard for the first time a live
recording of a set played about two years ago at Tonic
by Carter Burwell and SPLaTTeRCeLL. The music started
gradually; the crowd continued to chatter throughout
most of the first piece, even after it was clear that
the performance had begun. Hmmmmm.....