RE: Performance Tricks for the Shy Looper

Over the past few years I've had the opportunity to play a few festivals
which are MUCH better for allowing a performer to "spread out" IMO. In
doing these I was able to concentrate more on the actual focus of the
instruments and the performance and I developed a habit of talking to the
audience before and after each perfromance. This has worked out so well
I've encorporated it in all my gigs whenever possilbe.

A lot of people don't know what an echoplex or delay pedal is. many don't
even know how stomp boxes work. It's not necessary to go into detail but
I've found just saying hello and introducing a bit of what I'll be doing
in the show goes a Long way to demystifying the actual performance. I
usually have a mic set up onstage to formally talk to the audience for
this purpose. People see you stepping on things and manipulating strings,
knobs, whatever and if you take the time to explain what you are doing
beforehand it gives them something to concentrate on oir think about while
you are playing.

During the show I must admit I often go back into "anitsocial artist
mode" :) as I'm concentrating on getting everything to work right. I do
try and look up in the audience here and there as much as possilbe though
and (gasp) smile or generally enjoy myself if I've got a good groove or
interesting loop going.

After each show (again if I have the opportunity) I leave everything set
up, thank the audience, and hang around the stage area fielding
questions. In a club this isn't always possible but in a gallery or
festival setting you can time your show so you have some time to give a
demo/intro and some wrapup afterwards. I personally wouldn't do an
esoteric show any other way now that I've seen how much the audience
enjoys this.

HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.HelpWantedProductions.com
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.