Re: fractals

Ernesto,

Thanks for sharing that article about Pollock and fractals.
When I was a young sprout in high school in the late 60s and
early 70s I wanted to BE Jackson Pollock when I grew up. Heheh.
Fortunately (for me) I did not. I turned out a little better adjusted
socially than he did. However, I've always sensed the relevance
to nature that made his canvases so appealing/beautiful (even if
I hadn't had the slightest clue about any mathematics involved).

As for looping music, what I have always found interesting
is the "tension" between monotonously looped material and
more chaotic, almost random elements when they are overlaid
or otherwise juxtaposed. How two distinctly different textures
will interlace, strain, fight and rub against one another is something
I take keen interest in. It's sort of like the interface between the
"natural" environment and the "man-made" environment.

Actually it's all NATURAL if we are correctly viewed as animal
organisms within the larger scheme of things. Even our cities
of glass and steel (however unpleasant some may find them)
come from a human consciousness that evolved from nature,
imitating forms found elsewhere in nature. But that has about
squat to do with looping so I'll drop that train of though.

Suffice it to say that I rather like messing around with semi-chaotic
elements superimposed on a grid of some sort. At one point in
my life I even painted like that . . . and now I find myself making
music like that. There is indeed, "nothing new under the sun."
Everything is recycled eventually, just slightly tweaked.

Best,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

ArsOcarina@aol.com
http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian