Re: Orvilles to replace EDPs?

Quoting "JAMES FOWLER, III" <jimfowler@prodigy.net>:
> i would stick with your edps for looping...you're
> gonna have a hard time beating the flexibility of the
> unit within the idiom.  plus, a pair of
> orvilles...that's nearly 10 grand!!!

no, he wouldn't need a pair. he'd just need one. Mr Redenbacher has 2
seperate
DSP units in it, each capable of looping and processing. there is no way
to do
feedback between the two blocks unfortunately (well, not in stereo).

i think that the DSP7500 may be more appropriate for looping/processing,
as it
is much cheaper (3 grand).

3 grand for eventide vs 3 grand for stereo exoplechen and
harmoniser/pcm/whatever unit.

it's kind of a wash when you look at it that way.

i prefer separate units for different signal processes but i'm not decided
on
my next looping solution.

if you NEVER use multiply, reverse, undo whatnot it could work great. if
you
rely on them it wouldn't. i'm sure Italo can pipe in with an explanation
of how
to do multiply (possibly reverse, i don't know if the reverse delay module
can
use the full sampler memory like the LongDelay module can). i see no way
you
could do Undo effectively though.

i never use undo, never store my loops, and rarely use multiply. i don't
know
what i'm going to do. the Expensive Expansive Gibson Looper is the BEST
USER
INTERFACE DESIGN FOR A REALTIME LOOP/DELAY but i think that it's
overpriced for
2003. when i first looked into getting an EDP for myself back in 1996, the
price that the local music store gave me was 390 bucks. when i finally got
the
money together to order one it had risen to 580. it is now TWICE what i
was
originally quoted. that is not following inflation.

i remember an email exchange i had with a nice man who works at Trace
Elliot.
he told me the reason the price was so ridiculous for the EDP was that
because
the design dates to 1992, many of the components are NLA or very
expensive.
most other manufacturers would find a more cost-effective way to build
more
units, as continuing to support hardware which uses unobtanium components
is
not taking the long term into healthy consideration.

he said he was trying to get the price down by buying components en masse,
which would lower their per-unit parts cost. what happens when you run out
of
those parts? you've bought all you can find. the law of supply and demand
(and
the nature of business: if you can sell it for that price, don't lower the
price) say that the price of the EDP will continue to stay high or even
rise
higher!

eventually it will become more cost-effective to buy an Eventide for
looping.

why doesn't Eventide licence the LOOPIV software for a module inside the
Orville/DSP series? i think there are alot of people who would scrape
together
3 grand to buy a 24/96 LoopDelay with premium effects processing built in.
they
can scrape together 1700 (including 2 Aurisis ROMs) for a stereo echoplex

---
Eric Williamson
www.suitandtieguy.com