Re: loop product viability (was: Orvilles to replace EDPs?)

While Gibson's made its share of difficult-to-explain market moves,
keeping the current EDP design probably isn't one of them.  The design
must have recouped by now, but the cost of coming up with a new design
using more current technology would be significant considering the size
of the market.   At some point, some critical component won't be
available any more, so they'll have to consider whether it's worth
re-upping for a new hardware design, but I wouldn't say that's a sure
thing.  The ROI on an EDP Mk II might very likely be lower than Gibson
wants to invest in, while the entry cost of doing a new design might be
beyond any large company with deep pockets.

Over the years, I've gotten the impression that Kim and Matthias have
tons of stories about the struggle to bring the EDP to market and keep
it there that they can't comment on publicly.  Bringing the late-beta
version of the Repeater to market (a year late) appeared to kill
Electrix, and I remember hearing that mentioning the JamMan at Lexicon
is like hanging a "Kick Me" sign on yourself.  I'm still amazed (and
pleased) that Boomerang is still around, despite having only one
(niche) product.

TH