Re: Laptop recommendations(why a laptop at all?)

Here's what I'm leaning towards right now for realtime audio processing
(AudioMulch, soft samplers, soft synths, etc.):

Desktop PC in a rack-mount server chassis, with a rack-mount pull-out
drawer
containing a keyboard, and a wireless optical mouse, and a flat-screen
monitor on the side.  The only setup would be plugging in the monitor and
power cables.

Pros:
1.  Desktop CPU power.
2.  Desktop hardware prices.
3.  More choices for audio interfaces, since you can choose PCI bus based
ones (e.g. Aardvark Direct Pro series).
4.  Completely modular and upgradable (provided you build it yourself or
have it custom built, and don't just buy some proprietary box from Gateway
or something).

Cons:
1.  Flatscreen monitors are expensive (but if you are hardcore [i.e. poor
like me] then you could substitute a regular monitor).
2.  Another six-space rack to lug (probably 30 lbs).

I have not been reading intently lately, but I sense that the PCI bus is on
its way out, to be replaced by Firewire. USB2 and whatever else comes
along,
but for some reason I still trust a desktop machine more than a laptop.
Maybe that's folly, since a laptop should be designed to be moved around
and
jostled, and a desktop (even in a server case) is designed to sit in a rack
in a machine room.  Although, there are shock-mount kits you can get for
rack-mount chassis.

-J

P.S.  I am also thinking about using a laptop for less CPU intensive stuff
like running my sequencer, and generating clock.