why a laptop at all?

I'm all for having a nice small laptop be one's rig.  Hell, it would
make all our lives easier.  Here's my question:

Why?

It seems they're riddled with issues, including noise and latency
issues.  A Sony VAIO is going to run you about $1500, an Apple Titanium
Powerbook is going to be $300 more.

Tack some software on top of that, and you're easily looking at $2500.
Now, add a midi controller and say we're in the neighborhood of $2700.

Now, you can easily pick up something like the new roland V synth, Korg
Triton or another work station style keyboard for $2200 that will kick
that laptop's ass in terms of capabilities and sound quality and leave
you almost enough money for an EDP leftover.  Rick's already got a
Repeater and an EDP.  He could spend the extra cash on a decent
multi-effects processor

Now, I'm not saying that all of these things are equal.  I'm sure there
are software packages that will do things that no hardware box will do
alone, and visa versa.  It just has always seemed to me that if you're
looking for bang for the buck, hardware wins... though it's starting to
get closer.  I guess I'm not aware of capabilities, but my guess is
that a high end Sony VAIO or TiBook is not going to give me enough
power to run Live, a VST software synth, with a few vst effects on it
all at the same time with an acceptable amount of latency and no
glitches.  Am I wrong?  My company is always looking for a way to do
realtime video presentations from a laptop, and as far as I can tell,
it's not possible with the quality we need.  A G3 tower with an Aurora
video card is the closest we've gotten.

Mark Sottilaro