Re: OT: Babatunde Olatunji passes on

<<<I just recieved the very sad news that the wonderful
Nigerian drummer and Emissary for Peace and Community,
Babatunde Olatunji passed on after a long series of health
crises.>>>

     I only saw him once in the mid-80's in Seattle.  However, I have come
across his legacy so
many times over the past 20 years.  He was one of the first people to
bring African drumming to
the United States in a big way.  In a way, all these drum circles that you
see at festivals were
started by him.

     I had the great good fortune to work with another African musician
for many years.  Dumisani
Maraire was a Zimbabwean musician who played marimba and mbira.  Similar
to what Rick writes, Dumi
was a spiritual father to me as well.  Much of my "growing up" occured
under his tutelage (I met
him in 1979).  He passed away about 3 1/2 years ago.  I have been carrying
on his tradition with
my own groups during his lifetime and afterwards.

     It's interesting to me to observe how looping and African drumming
have so much in common.
Both are about repetitive phrases that change over time.  Variation and
development figure highly
in both.  African drumming fits in well with Looping technology.  I myself
haven't done much to
fuse African marimba or mbira with looping, I get enough of that when I
play with my band!

     Thanks Rick for posting this very important piece of news.  And make
sure to carry on Baba's
work in all you do!

     Stephen

     http://tingaramarimba.com/