Re: How to make bump free drones in EDP?

Title: Re: How to make bump free drones in EDP?
On 4/14/03 6:29 AM, "jimfowler" <jimfowler@prodigy.net> wrote:

how i make drones: put the edp in delay mode, roll the guitar's volume down, strike a note and fade it in.  for this to work right (i.e. no bumps or dips in the sound) the loop has to be short...

if you need a longer delay/loop time, you might want to check on a simple delay pedal and apply the same principal as mentioned above.

if you need to be in loop mode, i would create and empty loop of the desired length, hit overdub and fade in...might take a few runs through to get the drone up to the right volume, but you can stack them for a richer sound.

-jim

Hi Jim,

First off, I failed to mention that I am playing an EWI, not a guitar.  Not that I can’t swell with an EWI, but ...

Won’t fading in like this create a drone that continually goes from soft to loud?  I am needing to produce a drone that sounds like a sustained note at a single volume level.  Maybe I am misunderstanding your suggestion.

I know several individuals have suggested using overdub in some form or another.  The problem with overdub, even if you stop the recording and immediately hit overdub again to take it out of overdub, is that it sets feedback (according to the manual) to 95%, and as the song progresses, the drone gets softer until it eventually fades out.  The only way I have successfully produced a drone that stays at a single volume level is to use record to end the recording with a single pass.

Thanks,
Steve