Re: recording tools

57s are probably used most commonly for close-miking snare heads and
guitar
cabinets, especially in live applications.  You'll probably want to try a
condenser for getting a good acoustic guitar sound.  I know the Stapes
omni
is popular with the TapeOp crowd (read: good/cheap), otherwise the Rode or
Oktava could be good choices.  Like I said, take your guitar in with you
and try out whatever is in your price range.  And check out tapeop.com for
other ideas (including used mics for sale).

-Hans