Re: recording setup? (ot)

At 11:36 PM +0100 4/21/03, Steve Goodman wrote:

>"lack of hardware standardization in the PC world"?  I'm afraid this must
>be
>substantiated with more than a flip comment.

Really?  I thought it was generally accepted that PC hardware can be
a crapshoot. PCs and PC boards and peripherals are made by a wide
variety of manufacturers and there IS a lot of shoddy merchandise out
there.

Since I don't use PCs myself I can only rely on the many complaints
I've heard from friends who do use PCs (and who are careful to check
out specific compatibility issues with different mother boards, video
cards, etc.), from friends who are computer music consultants, from
tech support acquaintances, and from computer music retailers. The
general consensus among these people is that you have to be well
informed about the specific items you are trying to assemble into a
system.

As for myself, the majority of my PC hardware experiences have been
frustrating (PCI boards not fitting, components coming unplugged in
transit, etc.). I haven't had these sorts of problems with Macs
because 1) most of the major hardware is made by Apple and 2) Apple
is traditionally pretty strict when it comes to specs.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com