Re: [Paris Loopfest] I probably wont be here :(

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Wyatt" <loopersdelight@solostring.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 18:35:PM
Subject: Re: [Paris Loopfest] I probably wont be here :(

> - On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 08:15  pm, mark wrote:
> > My way of dealing with a similar bent in the states is to totally
> > separate my money making endeavors from my music making endeavors.
> > I've never been happier.  Good luck.
>
> Thats one thing that I am trying to do. I don't like having to rely
> upon my music to put bread on the table, hence the need to move back to
> the UK. My contract at work finishes next week, and the job situation
> here is pretty bad - especially for foreigners.... :(
>
> The recent crack-downs on 'street begging' (which, alas, I fall into
> that category) means that Paris will soon be a distant memory.
>
> - On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 12:28  am, Travis Hartnett wrote:
> > ... but consider the fact that every time a coffeeshop plays your CD,
> > they're not paying  some other musican to perform in the same space...
>
> France does not have the coffeeshop scene that the US/UK has. In fact,
> I dont really know any venue other than a noisy pub that will have live
> music without you having to pay up-front. The scene here is completely
> different/non-existant from any other place I have ever been to.

I wasn't aware that the coffeeshop scene in the UK allowed for live music.
Last week I popped into a place that's apparently a kind of 'unplugged
mecca' in the UK (I'm told this by a former member of Meat Beat Manifesto)
called the Troubador.  It's just off Earls Court Road, and has an
impressive
soundstage in the basement, but the crappiest food or service one can
imagine.  The olives were were served must have been off for months, and
they didn't have any lager that wasn't in a bottle.  Improvements on this
must exist somewhere.  Steve L?

> - On Wednesday, April 23, 2003, at 02:09  am, Steve Goodman wrote:
> > What about Prague?  I'd heard it was the "Paris" for the 21st
> > Century...
>
> I'd love to try somewhere new... but alas, I don't have the finances or
> the energy to try something completely new at this moment. Maybe I'll
> get around there and visit one of these days. I'm going to take the
> easy option and head back to my old home town (Plymouth), at least for
> a while. I have many friends there who will happily take onboard a
> charity case for a short while whilst he gets his shit together :)

I understand THAT one, believe me.  I'm finally going to be able to go back
to LA to clear out my storage - after over 2.5 years over here.  Right now
the possibility exists that the trip happens sometime around May 15, but
could change when better-priced tickets emerge.  Right now Virgin's
offering
a London-LA return flight for £229, which ain't bad for a nice, wide seat
like they have.  Frankly we've spent too much money for the storage - $80 a
month!  Do the math! - and something has to be done.  I originally wanted
get back to the LA area in April, 2001, for a pair of good friends'
wedding,
but the financial situation in the UK pretty much collapsed right around
the
time I got here, Oct 2000.

Anyway I'll keep those of you who're interested informed.  Given interest I
might even schlepp my gear...

Good luck Stu.  Plymouth's about 3+ hours train ride from London, but not
unreachable. :)

Revd. Norle Enturbulata
"Church" of Cartoonism
*
"This volume probably contains more promises and less evidence per page
than has any publication since the invention of printing."
- Review of "Dianetics", Scientific American, 1951