DJ Rescue

I need a DJ driven rescue, or at least an audiophile's guidance.

Recently bought a turntable--a belt drive Stanton STR8-20--simply to start
capturing my albums to CD. Anyway, to make a long story short, the high,
sibilant
notes are killing the mix. What is wrong? I have a compressor set to
lightly
catch
these enormous signals, but it's still not enough. On the turntable right
now
is Derek
and the Dominoes, and every time EC Sings an S Sound, it's a blast of
SSSSSSXXXXX
times 10.

I thought that by buying a $100.00 turntable, I'd be able to at least play
my
old
albums. They are clean. No scratches, new needle.

Here are my questions: should I have bothered buying a belt driven
turntable
to begin
with?

Is my needle bad? even if it's new?
Do I need an Ebtech Switcher?
Am I too used to CDs and have forgotten how SSSSy "S" SoundS are on
albumS?
BecauSe the extended jamS SanS vocalS Sound okay.

I don't want to spend a fortune, and don't anticipate wanting to scratch
like
a DJ, so I
wonder if I just need a new needle.

Don't worry. This is loop related in a roundabout way.
Thanks! Paul