Re: DJ Rescue (including an entertaining link)...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesse Ray Lucas" <jlucas@neoprimitive.net>
> Not sure about these "record" things, but my father told me once that the
> phono input on a receiver applies a special EQ to the input signal.  You
> can't just run it into a normal jack, or it will sound all brittle and
>lack
> any low end.  Probably doesn't help you.  But...

That's called the RIAA curve.  (There have been a few other EQ schemes
over the
years but this one applies to all LPs.)  This is a specific curve applied
to the
signal from the master tape on its way to the cutting lathe.  It (1) cuts
the
bass to keep the grooves from becoming too wide and deep (simplixtic
answer) and
(2) boosts the treble ranges to increase the signal-to-noise ration (S/N)
where
the musical energy is small.  By applying the inverse curve to the signal
coming
from the phonograph cartridge, the bass is restored while the treble is cut
back, taking with it all the groove noises (pops, clicks, scratches,
diamond
rubbing vinyl, etc.).  Those of you born after the CD came to market might
marvel at all the funny things people did to make sound fit into vinyl
grooves.
EQ, limiting, compression...  None of which need to be done for soundwaves
being
digitally encoded into pits of a CD.

Cheers,

Bill
Group!]
Host of the AM/FM Show on WMUH Allentown  91.7 FM every other Saturday at
6 am.
Host of Afterglow on WMUH every Thursday morning from 8:00 to 9:30.
http://soundscapes.us/~bill/amfm
http://soundscapes.us/~bill/afterglow
Listen on-line to WMUH at http://www.muhlenberg.edu/wmuh  and click  REAL
AUDIO