Re: midi control SW sampler live/hands free

Rich-

Get any MIDI foot controller that sends MIDI note on messages.  I'm looking
at the Behringer FCB1010 right now.  Super cheap and programmable.  A
couple
caveats:  I've heard, is that each program on the FCB1010 can only send on
one channel.  You could get around this by having multiple programs set up
to send on different channels and switching between them with your feet.
What you want sounds like "one-shot" mode (note-on message plays the sample
through one time regardless of the length of the trigger note), and loop.
Another thing about the FCB1010 that I've picked up is that the release
command of the pedals is not programmable.  This means that you can't
program the button to only send a note on message, which would let you
sustain a loop until you pressed another pedal with a note off message
programmed into it.  Thus, if you wanted to sustain a loop with that
particular MIDI controller pedal I believe you would have to keep your foot
on the triggering pedal.

For software samplers I've got to recommend Native Instruments Kontakt
(www.nativeinstruments.com).  Built in effects and modulation options
limited only by CPU power.  Very intuitive sample mapping functions.  And
*all* parameters are controllable via MIDI.  So, you could use the two foot
pedals on the FCB1010 to control filter cutoff, or pitch, or reverb mix, or
whatever.

Cost is $300+, but considering all that it offers above an expensive
hardware sampler solution(limitless effects, limitless LFOs, the list goes
on and on), it's reasonable.  There is a warez version of Kontakt 1.01
floating around out there if you want to download it and try it out (I'm
not
responsible for any viruses you get!).  It's not completely stable,
however,
and you can't get to Native's website to download the upgrade to v1.2,
which
offers all kinds of goodies like direct from disk streaming support, and
ability to map controllers 7 and 10 to volume and pan controls,
respectively
(a curiously absent feature).

Just keep in mind, if you intend to devote a lot of time to a piece of
software and your music is going to be reliant upon it, it's worth your
money to support it so the company doesn't drop it and leave you hanging.
And while you're at it, badger them to make Linux versions of their
software!

-Jesse