hardware MIDI looper??

are there any hardware MIDI loopers out there? here's what
I want to do: I want a unit, let's call it a "MIDIrang,"
where I can tap a tempo (and a loop length, for instance 8
beats or something) then feed it a line from a MIDI
controller. and i want it to repeat that line (through the
MIDIrang's MIDI output) so i can feed it to a bunch of
synths and mix the outputs of those synths together.

I know the MS2000 and other synths have step sequencers
that would repeat a pattern like this, but the pattern
can't be created or replaced on the fly (aka LIVE)... or
can it? any ideas?

MIDIrang where are you????

P.S. i guess a software option could be cool too. somebody
I think mentioned an opensource or free MIDI looper a while
back, any other options? Thanks!

- dylan

dylanhassinger@yahoo.com