No Subject

Michael;

I responded to your mail off list but it bounced so i'm re-posting here.

How much midi do you do? With midi what you're after is dead simple. Even midi plus audio can be easily manipulated in this way on the MPC. I perform a fifty minute show with just the MPC doing exactly what you describe.

I do all of my production exclusively on the MPC. I don't have a computer running in the studio. No time for one. I work against deadlines and can't be bothered with bloat ware and crashes. I don't know how you assemble your tracks so it's hard to say whether the transition from Cubase to MPC will require a significant amount of strain on your part. Still, you should be prepared for a paradigm shift.

Sequencing on the MPC is similar to working in Creator (the old Atari sequencer). You create patterns that you can later assemble into songs. Likewise, you can just improvise and call sequences on the fly by using the pads to trigger sequences. Each sequence will loop until you instruct the MPC to go to another sequence. You can start a new sequence at any time you wish. In other words, you can cut a playing sequence off or have the new sequence start at the completion of the currently playing sequence.

One way to accomplish what you're after with the MPC assuming that you don't compose by creating patterns that you later chain together into songs, assuming that you compose linearly, on the MPC: you can create a long sequence, your entire song as one long sequence. That sequence can be cut up into in "passages" and each "passage" can be triggered from a pad in real time. There are as many ways to work with the MPC as there are MPC users. I suggest that you take a closer look at the MPC (as well as the old Ensoniq ASR 10X). There's a reason why these boxes are growing in popularity.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jair-Rohm Wells

Glass Thought Communications
"Records for people to listen to at home."
+46 708 940893
http://mp3.com/jairrohm