Re: best place to buy an apple...

If I were in your boots, I would buy second hand. I've purchased the
last two Macs used (G4 and ibook), and I've had no problems with them.
With the money you save from buying new, you can completely max out the
ram/HD and have enough money left over to purchase a good audio card
and a suite of software.

Its a gamble, I know, but looking at the prices of new macs in the
stores compared to last years models at 2nd hand prices, I'd take that
risk.