Re: best place to buy an apple...

I would suggest only buying a desktop(powermac) or a powerbook, because the
cache is is better than on ibooks and imacs and plus you've got something
more than firewire for expansion (pcmcia on powerbook) pci slots on
powermac
if you want to put in an audio card, a pci firewire 2 card, DSP cards,
extra
internal drives, .

in both cases upgrading HD and other stuff is easier on these two models
too.

I would only recommend buying new, refurbished, discontinued  (has to be
less than so many days old from orig manufacture[90? 180?] for applecare to
be valid) and then only only only with an applecare warranty  and maybe
even
a fry's warranty too(cause sometimes you can trade up in the mix and
they'll
float you a loaner for no downtime vs. applecare  you have to go without
for
a little bit).

You might luck out and lots of people do okay with a used machine and no
warranty, but what if you don't, and you end up with someone elses problem
or something they never really used in the machine and didn't know was a
prob and in any case it's a gamble.

So my vote would be for expandability, performance and no hidden costs. I
would shoot for a model that's being discontinued because of a newer model,
an open box, an open box of a refurbished demo, etc. as long as it's
technically "new" so it could be warranteed thereby offsetting the cost of
the warranty and then some by the copious savings on the unit itself.