Re: Dig if u will my research paper

Kim said, after a lot more good stuff:
>Yet, when somebody hands me their cd and tells me they are a looper
>and they want me to hear their looping music, I still have
>absolutely no idea what it will sound like! The stylistic results
>people come up with when using looping are all over the map.

I certainly can understand your questioning Kim!

but its somehow like saying that "american" is a useless term because
there blond and black and fat and rich ones, whereas, when you
present me someone as american, I know that I should not say "bom
dia" and can see his race :-)

You can also combine categories and present someone as a smart -
black - lower class - rastaman - and it still will not say much about
the person.

Similarely we can speak about jazzy - guitar - live looping music...

While "american" is of the type "nationality", we dont quite know of
what type live looping is, since it may not be a style. Geoff claims
its a genre, others called it an artform... but of what type is
"rastaman"? Religion? Nationality? Yet everyone pictures him...
So what I learned here, mainly from Rick, is that we better start to
use a term, even though we dont know its type.

What matters is that the world gets an ida about what LiveLooping is
about. And for this, its usefull that we use the same term when we
use the technical process as defined pretty exactly by now, so with
time everyone get a feeling for what can come out of it.

>So when you try to claim Live Looping as a genre, I'm still lost as
>to what you are talking about.

and if you hear "jazz", you know?

>I really don't see how regular music listeners can understand it either.

right, we need to try to show them.

>Certainly you can explain to them about the looping techniques and
>devices the musicians are using, and maybe they will find that a bit
>interesting in an educational way.

very true, we have that all on LD.

>But that isn't describing the music, and ultimately people go to
>listen to music not the musician's technique.

Thats what we want to start LiveLooping.com for.
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org