Re: Dig if u will my research paper

> I have difficulty understanding that also. I have been in this looping
> stuff for 10 years now. In the process of developing the Echoplex and
> running Looper's Delight, I have received countless cd's and tapes from
> loopers all over the world. I've downloaded hundreds (or maybe thousands)
> of mp3 files that loopers have posted or told me to check out. I've been
> numerous performances and looping festivals. I've bought albums by famous
> loopers. Yet, when somebody hands me their cd and tells me they are a
> looper and they want me to hear their looping music, I still have
> absolutely no idea what it will sound like! The stylistic results people
> come up with when using looping are all over the map.
>
> So when you try to claim Live Looping as a genre, I'm still lost as to
>what
> you are talking about. I really don't see how regular music listeners can
> understand it either. Certainly you can explain to them about the looping
> techniques and devices the musicians are using, and maybe they will find
> that a bit interesting in an educational way. But that isn't describing
>the
> music, and ultimately people go to listen to music not the musician's
> technique.
Okay I'm a bit tired as I handed my paper in this morning!
This is a huge question....
So this is going to be messy!
I understand your point of view,
However its not mine, here is how I see things
When i listen to the music of Live-Looping (there I am calling it that
right
from the start) I genuinely here huge similarities between the artists I
have talked about.
For this to work I only consider artists who use a Live-Looping device as a
major part of what they do. To illustrate why... drum and bass doesn't
sound
the way it does simply because someone adds a speed up drum beat, its a
full
engagement with a form of music. This is true of Live-Looping for someone
be considered part of the genre they must make heavy use of the
Live-Looper,
i.e. it can not be just an arbitory addition or effect.
Okay so considering people who do this...
If I went to http://www.looproom.com/index_engl.php
and downloaded music by Rick, Matthius, and Per Boysen (which I have done
incidently) I would argue that the music has a lot in common as a listening
experience.
The very function of looping a live instrumentalist has such a powerful
aesthetic effect that I would argue that this in most cases creates a
feeling of similarity between individual pieces or artists.
Looping creates form that is clear,
... and I believe it creates such a specific form that it ties music
together.

In the same way hip-hop covers so many different musicians etc.
So Live-Looping can do the same, because there is a basic form that is
popular.
Compare Terry Riley's 'Poppy No good etc' to Per Boysen's Saxophone pieces
and the similarities are obvious. It is perhaps harder to perceive when u
compare music made on different types of instruments, but i believe the
form
is still very clear. Take Eno and Fripp's 'No Pussyfooting' and listen to
that and imagine it was played on a saxophone.... you must see it!!!!!

Live-Looping like all music genres has progressed this can be heard on Amy
Neuburg' s 'tattoo' however the roots of the music can still be perceived
i.e. I can still hear the same fascination with looped live recorded audio.
The form is just more fragmented now (thanks to new functions on the EDP.

People more often than not choose a loop-length that fits a specific
feeling
of repetition just the same as a hip-hop drum beat has a specific
character.
This is true even in Andre Lafosse's work the difference is he has found a
way to transform this particular loop by a process other than overdub.
So although the process is different certain feelings are the same.

Live-Looping music is characterized by the looping of live instruments in
recorded form, obvious yes but hugely significant as no other form of music
does this. If you play samples of music that aren't created live they have
totally different feel....etc. Sequenced music is looping but is
characterised by looping synth sounds or sampled sounds and therefor has a
very different aesthetic effect.

One of the few people who is maybe unrecognisable as a Live-Looper is David
Torn on his recent work. This I believe is because of the huge range of
processing he uses,
I talk about this in my paper.

So I set you the challenge name 5-10 prominent Live-Looping pieces that you
feel cannot be characterised together. And I will respond.

Anyway I must go or my partner will kill me!!
Sorry about the rough way this is written
I aim to clarify this later.
Geoff