Re: genre - style - category

--- Matthias Grob <matthias@grob.org> wrote:
> hm... dictionary...
>
> I am not sure about genre, but to me, style and
> category are not the same.
>
> Style is rather tradition oriented, its the
> "cookbook" for a way to play music. etc

I think there's bound to be an inevitable degree of
equivocation since we all have different backgrounds
and these terms are used in areas other than music. To
me, genre and category mean approximately the same
thing. Like Matthias, I also think that 'style'
differs slightly in meaning, but my interpretation
tends towards the other direction; to me, 'style'
connotates a combination of personality, affectation,
cliche (affinity for or resistance to), habit, talent,
imagination, work ethic, individuality, specific
personal experiences, genetics and chance. I use the
term the way it's often used in the visual arts, but I
recognize the way Matthias uses it too...

-t-