Re: Time Lag Accumulator

on 5/28/03 12:55 AM, Michael Peters at mpeters@csi.com wrote:

> (Timelag Accumulator, later known as Frippertronics)

It's only Frippertronics if you plug Fripp into the front end of the Time
Lag Accumulator.

> What is a loop anyway? Maybe this has been said before: We should make a
> clear distinction here ... the word 'loop' is used to describe 1) static,
> closed tape loops which typically don't evolve (today we would say:
>samples,
> or loops in the DJ sense), but also 2) open, evolving loops with
>continuous
> input, like Terry Riley's system, based on tape echo units or two tape
> recorders, later growing into analog and digital echo/loop machinery.
>
> Of course, static tape loops are loops too in the most basic sense, but
>I'd
> say that all of our talk about Loop music and Livelooping refers to the
>use
> of the second, more complex kind of loops.

It won't solve Kim's concerns, but perhaps a better term would be Time Lag
Music calling attention to the fact that a key part of the sound is based
on
the fact that what you've just heard is likely to come back again.

I would also say that Amy X Neuburg does not play time lag music. Her
pieces
are not given form by the EDP the way Matthias or Andre's work is.

I think you could quite reasonably have a Time Lag festival, that it could
draw an audience that didn't consist only of time lag musicians, and that
it
could include both Matthias and Andre without throwing the audience for a
loop.

Mark