Re: Time Lag Accumulator

At 12:55 AM 5/28/2003, Michael Peters wrote:
>What is a loop anyway? Maybe this has been said before: We should make a
>clear distinction here ... the word 'loop' is used to describe 1) static,
>closed tape loops which typically don't evolve (today we would say:
>samples,
>or loops in the DJ sense), but also 2) open, evolving loops with
>continuous
>input, like Terry Riley's system, based on tape echo units or two tape
>recorders, later growing into analog and digital echo/loop machinery.

You could also say that these are all part of an evolving set of tools,
used for repetition, and that there isn't really a distinction.

People started with loops that they couldn't change. (happened to be on
tape)
They added the ability to change the speed.
They added the ability to record continuously while playing back, to add
stuff.
They added the ability to control the feedback, to remove stuff.
They added the ability to set the loop time on the fly, making rhythm easy.
They added the ability to multiply and insert, allowing some song form.
They added the ability to undo, for more ability to remove stuff.
They added the ability to switch between different loops, for more song
form.
They added the ability to reverse on the fly, cause it was fun.
They added the ability to synchronize to other devices, allowing groups.
They added the ability to time-stretch loops, allowing easy tempo matching.
They added the ability to pitch-change loops, allowing more harmony/melody.
They added the ability to control multi-channel loops.
etc etc.

No need to pick an arbitrary point in the list to distinguish one half
from
the other. Each step adds something important to make the tool more
musically useful.  Various devices use more or less of them. Various
musicians use more or less of them. Either way they can always move
another
step.

kim