Re: Scratch Looper

Mark wrote:

"This isn't it.  What I'm talking about is something that's scratching
from a live buffer.  This seems like it will do it to a file on your
hard drive.  For the money they're asking for the software, plus
getting a turntable, I'd be better off with the CDJ-1000."

Hi Mark,

I've beta tested Ms. Pinky cursorily for my good friend, the inventor,
Scott
Wardle.  It accomplishes so vastly much more that you could accomplish with
the CDJ-1000
from my experience, not to mention the fact that you can use it with
Max/MSP
patches or with Pluggo.

Just the use of your mouse as a controller for modulation and muting alone
allows for
incredible munching possibilities.   Also, it means that the entire sound
world is your oyster as you can manipulate and scratch any audio files.

It also allows you to turn off backwards or forwards scratches which means
that you can use a 'drumstick' approach as opposed to a 'shaker' approach,
rhythmically.

What I mean, as a percussionist is that everytime you hit an object with a
drumstick
(under normal circumstances) you produce one sound.  With a shaker, every
forward movement results in two sounds (forward and backwards) allowing you
to 'double time' any forward movement.

This is great, but for rapid ostinato rhythmic manipulation of a recording
(ala scratching), Ms. Pinky allows you to think like a trapset player in
your manipulation of the sound file.................very, very hip because
it means you do not, necessarily, have to learn turntablist technique to
use
Ms. Pinky effectively.  As a drummer, this rocks for me.

You can then use square wave modulation at different speeds as stuttering
devices, something I love to do with my Electrix MoFX live.

If you get the chance, try it out,  it might change your mind about your
next purchase.

yours,

Rick
www.looppool.info

p.s. paranthetically, Latin Percussion has just invented a shaker called a
ONE SHOT that allows a 'drumstick' approach to shaker sounds.  It is a very
hip alternative to a hi hat for trapset playing or percussion overdubbing.
I'm using mine through an Electrix FILTER FACTORY live to create some hip
organic/electronic hybrid sounds to replace the
wonderful but highly overused hi hat.