Re: An Open Apology to Kim

On Saturday, May 31, 2003, at 03:12 am, Kim Flint wrote:

Rick, your efforts are amazing. But doesn't this mean all these people now think "Live Looping" is a type of music that sounds like Rick Walker?

No. Sorry Kim, but that is an absolute ridiculous thing to say :)

That is the problem that frustrates people here. When you go out into the public and say "Hey everybody, come check out this new Live-Looping scene", the public will understand that to mean a style of music. When they do come check it out, whatever they hear first will equal the "Live Looping" genre for them, and they will judge if they like it or not. That's a problem for everybody else. Using the term in such a way harms everyone else's ability to promote themselves since it now refers to some other style of music.

Live looping is a personal journey for each musician, and with live looping comes different styles. I consider myself a live looper - Do I sound like Rick? Does Rick sound like me? Absolutely not. I can give you many many examples just from my students alone.

Live looping is *NOT* a style of music, it is way to create music... It is an incredible way to open up the psyche, the subconciousness, etc. etc.

Live Looping is something that has grown over recent years with the advent of cheap (but adequate) looping devices and has a huge following.

I'm reading your responses Kim, and it seems to me as though there is a lot of tension that could actually force what you fear - a split and loss of identity in the looping community. I am a live looper. I am also a looper. Whats the problem? Cant we live in harmony?

I'm getting up to the stage where if things don't relax a little onlist, I'll be unsubbing and will purely reside on livelooping.com. Is that what you want? I'm confused.

- Stu