categories and a note of thanks to the list

first things first... 'everything expressed in this
email is merely opinion and you have your
opinions...that's the great thing about them, they
aren't facts and hence vary from person to person, so
don't be offended - although i couldn't imagine this
message offending too many folks - its always wise to
give a disclaimer'

okay - my thanks!
yesterday as i arrived home from a long day at work i
was pleased to see that my newest issue of tape op
arrived in the mail!  it got me to thinking.  in the
year and a half or so that i've been on this list, it
has really changed tons of things for me!  aside from
introducing me to tape op and opening my ears to tons
and tons of new music, i've met many great people and
learned how to use my own ears and needs to judge the
value of a piece of equipment (enough to the point
where my friends and fellow band mates often have me
scope out a piece of gear before they drop the cash!).
 i am an infinitely better musician because of the way
i look at music now and how i treat the equipment i
use to create the sounds in my head.  and as i plunge
into my first real project studio (the ol' 4-track
machine couldn't keep up years ago), i thank this list
for all of the great advice on approaches throughout
my time of being a lurker to one who replies to
virtually every post and back again to lurking with
the occassional pop in.  the natural evolution of my
music and approach would have come, but this list has
pushed me in new directions...THANKS!

and now for my $0.02 on this topic...

> Just out of interest: Who on this list considers
> themselves a  "Live
> Looper"?

i've seen tons and tons of flame wars and
ridiculousness on this list (and throughout the world)
for people's constant needs to classify everything
into a category.  whether it be race, religion, genre
of music...what-have-you...and i need to post a
question for my own interest - why is there such a
need to fit into a category or not fit into a
category?  when it all comes down to it, does it
really matter what label you have?  looper or
non-looper, it should be as insignificant as the color
of your eyes?  i think so.  i've heard incredible
music that was based around loops and terrible music
based around loops, and the same for music without any
loops.  and what about those bands that don't use the
equipment, but just play the same things over and over
again?  i don't know...maybe we're all just boring and
need something to talk about, but i just don't get
it...but it's probably just me.

peace and bass...
~e va n