Re: categories (and wandering off topic as I tend to do)

>i've seen tons and tons of flame wars and
>ridiculousness on this list (and throughout the world)
>for people's constant needs to classify everything
>into a category.  whether it be race, religion, genre
>of music...what-have-you...and i need to post a
>question for my own interest - why is there such a
>need to fit into a category or not fit into a
>category?

Having spent a lot of time on several local gothic and industrial lists
(All
unsubbed now, this is my only list, yay!) I have to say that LD, on the
whole, is barely scratching the surface of the deep deep levels of
illogic,
spite, and all-caps bile spewing that the attempt to classify music can
inspire.

As vitriolic as this list may seem right now I'm impressed at the level of
maturity and logic being applied to your arguments where many would have
already fallen back to shouting and character assasination.

Argument is good when carried out in a rational way, keeps everyone
thinking, or at the very least forces us to explain (and thus strengthen,
refine, or discard) our positions.

I'm learning boatloads from you all, carry on.

Will Wright
who is trying to give up caffiene again and so hopes the above was in any
way coherent.