Help! Semi-OT Roland VS-1680 Question

Hello all!

I am hoping someone here can help me with a sticky problem.

Last weekend I had a very nice gig in Ashland, Oregon and even
had a professional sound crew in to manage the complex PA needs
of a 10-piece ensemble that featured a looping guitarist (me), 2
looping and processed trumpet players, a looped and processed
vocalist/percussionist, one non-looping acoustic drummer, 2
non-looping bassists (one acoustic and one electric), plus 2
more acoustic hand percussionists and a "beat" poet.

My trouble is that the friend I enlisted to record the event (and
capture as many discrete tracks as possible) brought and used
a Roland VS-1680 to do so. A few days ago they gave me some
CD-Rs they burnt of the data the unit captured from the PA mixer.
The problem is my Mac can't read the discs. My kid's lowly, old PC
can . . . but it has no programs (nor enough ram to run 'em anyway)
to see if I can work with any of the files somehow myself.

Does anyone know whether the file format of the Roland VS-1680
is a proprietary "Roland only" one or not? My friend, the unit's owner
doesn't seem to know. Are the files transferable and compatible
with any known computer software? If I manage to find somebody
with a PC and a Mac on the same network and then transfer and
reburn the data onto some Mac compatible CD-Rs will it even matter?

I've, got a number of programs on my Mac that can open audio
files in many formats. But if this Roland thingy uses it's own
proprietary format I'm screwed. Any other suggestions? I hate
to hunt around for somebody who has both Mac and PC and burn
some Mac CDs of data files my computer won't even be able to
read anyway. Help! Tell me what to do!

Of course I could have the VS-1680 owner mix-down and burn
some audio CDs from the 1680 itself (that or teach me to do it).
But I want to do the real mixing myself on equipment and
software that I understand and know how to use already.
I trust my own ears on my own equipment . . . and I am not that
comfortable trying to do it on a strange piece of hardware
that I don't know all that well (and apparently, alas, the owner
doesn't know it all that well either).  Help!

Best,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

http://www.mp3s.com/tedkillian
http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html