Re: livelooping.com

At 03:54 AM 5/31/2003, Stuart Wyatt wrote:
>>Kim knows this. We know this. BUT.....
>>
>>http://www.livelooping.com/
>>
>>this seems to say something different.
>
>To quote the site:
>
>>Welcome to Live Looping Music!
>>  Here we will show to public, press and artists:

It's been explained to me many times, and stated right up on top there,
that this site is mainly for promoting to the public. Is that right? Every
time I've heard it explained, it was somehow about promoting to
non-loopers/non-musicians to get them listening to looping and not about
the musician part of it.

>>-  what this new music is like
>
>It is a relatively new style of music... so this is fine. They are going
>to give examples of the diversity of live looping.

it is a style, it isn't a style. I think that contradiction there was
pointed out already....

>>- why its so different to create loops in real time
>
>Creating loops in realtime is what live looping is all about... what is
>the problem here?

Isn't the site for the listening public? Why do they care what it is like
to create the loops? They might care about what it is like listen to them
be created. But this statement appears to be about the musician's
experience, not the listeners. So it is again confusing what the purpose
of
livelooping.com is. Are you directing it to musicians or listeners?

>>- how you can learn it
>
>We/they want to share their tricks and ideas.... again, what is the
>problem?

same problem as above. Is it for listeners or musicians? This seems to
contradict the idea that it is for the listening public.

>>- where such events took and will take place
>
>Great. A gig list... again - is this bad?

no, it's great if people use it. There's a gig calendar on Looper's
Delight, which thousands of people visit each month to look for upcoming
events only to discover almost no gigs listed there. (There is only gig
listed on there now.) It will take you guys years to get that much traffic
on your site. You have a widely viewed place to put gigs on LD and you
don't even use it!

It's sort of comical really, how often people post gigs to this list where
only a few hundred people see it instead of putting it on the LD website
where thousands see it. You guys scratch your heads over how to promote
yourselves, and you don't even use the resources right in front of you!

>>If you think you may be interested, please come back here in a month or
>two
>>or go to Loopers-Delight.com , the meeting point of such musicians.
>
>A reference to loopers delight. Live looping wants to live in harmony
>with
>LD. Is there anything bad in this?

no, except the statements directed at musicians like "how you can learn
it"
seem to contradict that.

I don't really care actually; some people seem to think I'm worried about
competition for LD but I'm not. Mainly because I don't run LD to gain
directly from it, it's there to benefit looping as a whole and is really
more of a burden for me. But also, even if you guys really did want to
make
a site that directly competed with Looper's Delight I just don't think it
would matter. LD is so widely known and so huge and so popular that it is
really impossible for a new web site to make any dent in that momentum.
Hundreds of thousands of people would be showing up at Looper's Delight
each month anyway. In fact, it seems kind of insane to me to make a new
site and spend years of work developing traffic patterns for it rather
than
just putting the same stuff on LD where the traffic is already there. I
dunno, I guess you guys have a lot of time on your hands or something.

>>Geoff Smith's LiveLooping Research Paper
>
>I really cannot see what is wrong with this? Maybe someone can enlighten
>me.

Well, the main thesis of Geoff's paper is that "Live Looping" is a genre.

It is a genre, it isn't a genre, more confusion....

Part of the point here is to get you guys to think about what you are
doing
and get a clear foundation under it. It seems really fuzzy right now.

kim