Re: livelooping.com

> Well, the main thesis of Geoff's paper is that "Live Looping" is a genre.
>
>  It is a genre, it isn't a genre, more confusion....
>
>  Part of the point here is to get you guys to think about what you are
doing
>  and get a clear foundation under it. It seems really fuzzy right now.
>
>  kim

.....but Geoff isn't connected with "livelooping.com", so
hardly surprising he says something different.

OK, his paper is on the site, but that's mainly  so info
hungry LDers can download in a nice format.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

OK I'll just talk about livelooping.com

You may have noticed that all we have is a single page filler
for the address, and absolutely no site yet!

We just have a name.
...can't we even keep that ???   :-)

> So far as I can remember and have experienced, "Looper" has always meant
> the same thing as what you guys are now calling "Live Looper".

essentially
"looper".....can be based on pre-recorded material
"live looper" .... based on live material.
....and I know we can all think of examples that sit somewhere
     between those 2 definitions.

Most times when I hear the term "loop" refering to a piece of music
people are refering to a chunk of pre-recorded audio which is
repeated. (in conversation, and in the press).
Occasionally someone seems to think it means ,"guitarist
with a lot of FX". (c/o David Torn I guess)

Well, i genuinely thought "live looping" would be obviously
connected to "looping", but not the exactly the same.

> That would be sad. But this statement again leaves me really confused
>about
>  what this livelooping.com site is all about. Isn't it supposed to be
>for
>  promoting to the public? In harmony and complimentary to Looper's
>Delight?
>  One for musicians and one for press/public? Doesn't that mean the
>musician
>  oriented posts you usually make here would not be appropriate there? So
>  what would you be talking about when you are there?

There are no immediate plans for a mailing list on livelooping.com.
(...sorry Stuart)

The concept for livelooping .com is to be accessible entertaining and
beautiful. To inform about the various types of artist who use real-time
looping technology. To explain how the technology works within their
music. To provide downloadable examples of that music, and
nice pictures & graphics to go with it.

Also there will  be space for looping history/philosophy, such
as Geoffs work.
There was originally a hint that funding might be available to
pay for hosting, and perhaps to pay for the work to be done,
but that hope seems to be fading.

While there might be some crossover with LD here, we were
thinking about a very different style of site, so while some
info might be duplicated, the main aim would be to make
it attractive enough to encourage  visitors to check out the music.
(and for musician visitors to check out the gear, which would
mean pointing them to LD)

LD's a fantastic site, a brilliant resource .
It doesn't have a structure that would lead the curious
directly to where they could discover new music,
(and I thought there wasn't the server space for loads
of audio).

Kim, if you think it would be better to put all this onto LD
then maybe we should all consider it.

Well, I'm off to put my next gig on the LD gig list!!
(which has a separate musical category for "looping"  :-)

andy butler