Re: Why I said Andrees music may deserve its own name

on 5/31/03 11:37 PM, altruist@earthlink.net at altruist@earthlink.net
wrote:

> If "live looping" is supposed to be full-phrase repetition, post-Terry
> Riley
> sounding music, then the "sliced" school of looping doesn't fit.

For that matter, Bill Walker using his arpeggiator to drive the pitch shift
on his Repeater wouldn't qualify as "live looping" under that definition. I
think it's probably too narrow.

What Matthias is talking about could perhaps be called "time lag looping"
(a
category that would also include Frippertronics, but you only get that if
you have a Fripp to plug into the looper). I don't know that "time lag
looping" is particularly more marketable than "live looping", but I also
haven't seen a need to draw a line between Matthias's work and Andre's
work.

The big part with "live" is distinguishing it from things like "Acid
loops".
Though, of course, having a program called "Live" for working with
pre-recorded loops messes with that.

Mark