RE: derivative websites (loopwhatever.com)

Hi guys,
Not sure why I'm going to jump in on this.  I must be feeling
antagonistic today :).

I agree with the notion that the LD website is and should be the
definitive Looping portal.  That would be hard to dispute.  However, I
disagree that derivative sites are harmful or divisive.

Humans seem to like putting systematic boxes around things in order to
make big concepts easier to grasp.  I'm of the general opinion that this
is a bad thing, but I am content with the idea that people will do it
anyways.  Creating a site that takes an aspect of a greater
work/genre/whatever and focuses on that, while limited, may make the
whole concept more approachable for the uninitiated.

In every looping concept that I have performed in or helped produce.
There have been audience members who just so happened to show up.  It
seems once they experience the music, they get it; but lengthy,
gear-headed ramblings would not have achieved the same effect. Remember
that part of the music life cycle is consumption.

I got some criticism a little while ago for creating a list called
boston-loopers@randomsalt.com that was for New England based performers
to network.  The list is small and has little traffic, but that is
fine.  Some of the folks on the list are not on this one because the
traffic is too high.  In general I am a more organic guy, so I like to
make human contact with people.  I like to find other local loopers,
make friends with them, make music with them, go to parties and shows
with them, take them sailing, whatever.  The point being that it is FUN
to do stuff with people that you like and can easily connect with. It
can also be very enriching academically.  I would have trouble believing
that my local pursuits could have a negative effect on the global
community. If anything, they are beneficial.

Thus I come back to my point (IMAGINE!!!).  Derivatives cannot surpass
the definitive due to the narrowness of their scope; so let people
announce their other websites, mailing lists, and other activities here
without prejudice.  All proselytical efforts contribute to the whole,
ultimately.

Warm regards,
Jeff