Re: community,styles;names "a scene"

I have greatly enjoyed reading all the posts about how we “title”
ourselves,
but have been too busy (this is a good thing) to really chime in….until
now.
I think everyone has made some very pertinent and intelligent points.  I
have to say I am somewhat on the fence as to my own classification.  I
totally support Rick and his unflinching and extraordinary work to support
the looping cause and community.  I also feel Kim has made some very
interesting comments on the “pigeon-hole” syndrome which accompanies any
classification of music styles or genres.

Is looping a style? Perhaps not…..but that is really not that important.
It
is a technique which crosses boundaries of style and genre.  I have had
the
unique honor of playing “looping duets”, and most recently at Loopstock at
“looping trio”, with such disparate artists as Rick Walker, Bill Walker,
Andre LaFosse, Steve Lawson, Jon Wagner and others.  Each of these players
have a unique, and somewhat signature sound and style.  Although we all
use
“loopers” to achieve our artistic expression, I don’t think any of us can
be
summarily, or accurately, be tossed into a bin which correctly defines
“loop
music”.  That bin would also have Matthias Grob, Tom Heasley, David Torn,
John Whooley, Mark Hamburg, Stanitarium, Dr. Zvonar, Ted Killian….and the
list goes on.  A pretty eclectic bunch, all with varied, and individual
“styles” which mostly defy gross categorization. (also each using quite
different hardware to achieve this categorical end)

The problem with categorizing any art is that the categories are drawn not
so much for actual description, but rather as a marketing plan.  In such
what Rick and Hans have done with :”Loopfest” and “Loopstock” similarily
work.  These terms help to describe and technique (granted a wide and
varied
one; Whooley’s looping is altogether different than Andres’s), a
performance
or compositional style which employs a new(er) technology and sits
(mostly)
outside the popular paradigm of musical classification and it’s subset of
“musical style”.

And that is the point.  This little community here at LD encompasses all
that is best and good about the larger community of musicians.  We are a
diverse bunch; eclectric, unconventional, accessible, melodic, atonal.
But
one thing we certainly are is supportive of each other.  I love the posts
here which speak of weird techniques, accidents and other strangely
bizarre
random acts which manifest through the music created by the list’s
members.
And I love the mutual respect and support that we all show for each other,
regardless of an individual’s “style” or influences.  Kim has created a
unique platform here for us all to share and enjoy the experiences and
creations of others (ok..there’s the plug…send him money REALLY!)
I would venture to guess that each member here looks forward with great
anticipation to reading the latest thread or posts on LD. I know I do, and
the opportunities to “converse” (even in the most virtual of means) or
meet
and talk with other members is a great gift.  Thanks Kim.

I think we all want “music which employs audio looping” to be more widely
heard and, perhaps, accepted by the general public.  And the whole idea
behind a “looping festival” is to promote just that.  What we do with
looping technology is sometimes very difficult to describe to the average
Joe who might not know a digital sample from…well, a specimen bottle. And
try to explain a feedback delay line to that same Joe….well something
might
be better off heard than explained.   It is unfair to try to classify what
looping is, or better yet, what looping can be by pigeon holing it into a
single genre-specific title.

The latest debate in this has been interesting and I have really enjoyed
reading everyone’s “take” on the whole thing.  But I think we should
encourage any actions which helps to illuminate what is we do….which
brings
to our community heightened exposure, and even gives us gigs!  I also
think
we should embrace our diversity.  At Loopstock I tried to make a point to
several players to “interact”, what I addressed as “collaborative
looping”.
And it worked. Check out that recording Jon Wagner put up of he, Bill
Walker
and myself; three very different players, with very different styles of
looping and influences, all with different gear, collaborating in a
process
to create music which becomes something greater than the sum of it’s parts.

The idea of using “live recorded audio loops” and playing with them,
interacting with them, or in someone like Andre’s case chopping them up
and
spitting them back out as something drastically new and different, is a
fairly new “idea”, and the hardware and technology, and the varied
techniques therein, still developing.
But since I am babbling about “titles” and classifications………I have always
found it a little odd that the devices we use for looping are called
“loopers”, and the person using the device is also called a “looper”.
Is it just me…or is that confusing?  Are we “Loopers”, “Loopists”
“Loopologists” “Loopographers” (I guess that would be reserved for those
who
catalog their loops or save them to CFC cards). Whaddaya think?

As to the “Let’s make a scene” thread….I wish I still lived in the Bay
Area
so I too could take part in the possible casual get-to-gethers.  Maybe you
could find an internet café and invite some of us cyber-citizens to join
in?
Living out here in the boondocks as I do, I have found the net, and
especially LD, my lifeline to culture and an invaluable conduit to some
like-minded loopy folks like yourselves………….

Yes, as Rick pointed out, we do have a community here…. Perhaps even a
family.  Yes we are opinionated, hard headed, sometimes argumentative ,
but
all in all extremely supportive and inclusive.  I  feel honored to have
all
of you “Looper’s” “Live Loopers”, “Dead Loopers” “Real-Time Loopers”,
“Cyber-Loopers”, “Neo-Catatonic Loopers”, “Barefooted Guitar Playing
Poopers”, “Hair Dyed Loopers” and (in the case of Rick and Andre)
“Uber-Loopers” as my friends.

Max